Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Raise the Bar

Decked out in my new workout shirt (Thanks James) I was headed to the fitness center with the mindset of doing the Body Pump workout. Of course I arrived early and did a good warm up on the treadmill, then Frank walks in the door. Frank has 10 years on me but has been working out forever. He motivates me and is very inspirational. I told him about my ideas on the Body Pump class, so he was eager to show me around and help me set the weights up and select the correct amount for me to start with. He encouraged me to start low and only work slow at first. This is an hour class that follows the Express class. This would make for and hour and a half total of fairly hard exercise. I am ready and pumped and wanting to "raise the bar". First we headed for the Express class. The 2nd rotation of the Express exercises, doing the mountain climber, I felt the strain or pop in my upper leg. I stopped immediately and Chris got the ice bag. Shortly the pain was mostly gone and I was able to walk around better and even stretch the area a bit. I could do some of the remaining class exercises as long as the upper leg muscles were not used. Chris, the new trainer, suggested I continue to ice it and stretch several times for the next few days. So I sit here with a bag of ice in my pants pocket, which places the ice exactly on the painful spot. Hope it is not that bad and I can reach my goal of the added class soon. Guess the bar will stay in place for a while.
Funny, the drive home had me thinking about a smoke. I did not smoke but the thought came to me. I still have a few more of the smoking classes. Guess I better make them all. Yesterday I also went to do my cardio around lunch time. A program at the fitness center on Functional Training sounded interesting so I went. Not that great and the presenter did not seem that prepared of sold on the ideas. Should have just done the treadmill. Oh well, they did give out smoothies, which were good.
Tomorrow the Master Gardeners will judge the horticulture entries at the show barn. This is the county stock show but most years brings more animals than plants. Last year the plants were not very good specimens so hopefully better this year. We also have another Workday at the Demo Gardens.
I realize that in each of these areas, gardening, workouts and not smoking, it is a continued work in progress. You never finish and can only get better, stay the same or regress.
Maybe I can raise the bar next time.

3 comments:

  1. The leg feels much better today but I still know it is there. More like a sore muscle today. Cardio only today so may just get it here. I did mow and build a raised bed for the 'matters.
    I do go judge the hort. displays this afternoon.
    Kolby will meet me in the morning for the smoking class. I will ask him about doing the class or classes tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad,
    I think that urge for a cigarette is a habit of avoiding things, it's an escape. I notice I tend to crave chocolate when I'm stressed or disappointed or whatever. Maybe on the way home, you were feeling disappointed or sad about your leg and not raising the bar as much as you would have liked
    So instead of just resisting the urge for the cigarette or the chocolate, what I find helps is just breathing and allowing myself to feel whatever I'm avoiding. I don't always know what it is, but breathing quietly usually helps.
    I think this is going to be the new normal for you, though. Going strong and then a setback, either in the greenhouse, at the gym, or with an urge for a cigarette. It's just life.
    Love you and so proud of you for keepin' on keepin' on.
    F

    ReplyDelete