Total Pageviews

Friday, January 7, 2011

In the beginning.......

On Dec. 14, I met my friend Jim at the fitness center and he showed me around. I "played" workout for about an hour. I returned every day that week and signed up on Friday. I am blessed that I am not over weight and can do most things needed for my gardening activities. I guess like most people this made me think that I was in decent shape for my age. The treadmill and strength machines showed me that I was fooling myself.
On Dec. 28, my trainer did an evaluation and made me a plan with goals. This really showed me that I had lots of work ahead. The plan calls for 3-4 days a week of strength training and 30 minutes of cardio each day. My body told me that I had done a real workout the next day.
The week of Dec. 20, my son, an Ironman and my son-in-law, a runner and swimmer joined me at the center. It was fun and I saw what real fitness was all about.
All of these events have motivated me to want to do more. I have made 5 days a week for 4 weeks now. I already see progress and can meet each activity of my plan now. Increasing speed, weight and incline are coming.
The No Smoking class begins next week. I think my head is right but know this will be very difficult but this too will happen.
I do know that the workouts are now a habit and almost enjoyable. I look forward to doing my routine and pushing for small improvements each time. Yesterday was my best ever and showed me the progress from my "play" of the first week.
I'm getting there.
Master Gardener meeting coming up Monday. Look forward to not being President and only a participant.
Back with you later, gotta go workout now.

2 comments:

  1. Turn your head around with the smoking. Try to look at each cigarette not smoked NOT as denying yourself but making you BETTER. You pass up the smoke and you have improved. You are closer to the goal.

    Easier said than done but with time you will overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So much progress in such a short amount of time. I'm proud of you, Dad!!

    ReplyDelete